The Siena Cathedral was finished in 1263 and was due to be extended in 1339 but the Black Death interrupted the construction. The adjoining roman style bell tower has an unusual design with a single lancet window at the bottom and a sextuple lancet window at the top. The beautiful façade was built from polychrome marble in a gothic style by Giovanni Pisano and the upper section was finished by Giovanni di Cecco.

The interior of the church has a visually striking appearance with large black and white (symbolic colours of Siena) marble columns and the floor is covered in a magnificent mosaic of pictorial marble dating back to 1369. The central nave has an upper cornice decorated with 172 heads of 15th century popes while the various vaulted ceilings are painted in a gorgeous blue with golden stars, replacing previous frescoes.
Siena : Cathedral (1 of 2) Larger Photos Next Page Back to Photo Index Page
Firefox This site has been cobbled together by Simon O'Callaghan
Contact Information: Simon O'Callaghan
All content is Copyright © 2000-2018
Hosted by ApisNetwork